Friday, June 27, 2008

First Semester of Teaching


- Guacamole Goalie - Flickr




Well, my first semester as "the teacher" has come to a close. Looking back it seems so long ago, but also, it feels like it has flown by. I remember feeling anxious, excited, and not knowing what to expect on day one. I didn't know what my students would think of me, if I could actually teach them what I was supposed to teach them, and if I could handle all that is required of being a full-time teacher. Well I guess sitting here writing this is a sign that I've made it...at least physically.
There were so many highlights I don't know where to begin. After my students and I got through the feeling out stage I found it a lot easier to loosen up a bit and be myself more of the time. Even though I only spent one semester with some of the grade 12's I found it really emotional when I saw them walk across the stage to receive their diploma. I am, by trade, a numbers and logic type person and what I realized is that teaching is more of an emotional occupation than a practical one. I've learned that it is the daily interactions with staff and students that enriches the teaching experience and makes what we do in the classroom meaningful.
I found it really challenging to adapt the way I interacted and taught different grade levels. For instance a grade 9 class versus a grade 12 class. One thing that was a must for any grade level is a sense of humor. No matter what type of student almost all of them could appreciate and relate to humor and having a sense that there teacher was just a "real" person just like them.
As I reflect back over the semester I don't think I could have asked for anything more. I have built incredible relationships with amazing staff and students, had so much fun along the way and best of all...I can't wait for the fall to do it all again!
I realize that my reflections may be modest compared to a seasoned veteran of 20 years but this is my starting point and I know there will be greater insights and revelations as I journey through the profession of teaching.

No comments: