Monday, June 9, 2008

What's wrong with education today?

The semester is coming to a close and I am finding it hard to keep students motivated and interested in being in the class. So I was trying to think of a way to get my grade 12's to stay on task during the last few weeks of their final semester of high school. I decided to do something with a topic that I knew was important to them.

What is the purpose of high school?

I decided to raise the question, what is wrong with education today? Most of my students really took this question to hart as they all had serious accusations as to why education (the way it is now) is pointless, in their point of view.
How I sparked this little debate was by showing them a couple of videos I have as a favorites on Youtube. The videos are called "A vision of students today" by Mike Wesch and "Education Today and Tomorrow" by Dean Shareski.



I showed the students the video's and then posed this question; "Does our education system meet the needs of today's students?"

The students had plenty to say in their responses. The responses included such things as:

"Teachers are lazy and don't do a good job at motivating students to learn."

"Most of our classes are pointless, I will never use most of them once I leave high school."

"I don't have the option to study the things that I am interested in."

"I wish we could do things more practical and apply it to the real world."

"We should do things with more technology in all our classes."

"I think we should be able to specialize in the things that we like and not have to take the mandatory classes like math and English...when will I ever need to write and essay later in my life if I don't go to university?"

"School doesn't challenge me and I get bored and don't feel like doing any of the pointless assignments."

As you can see the students had a lot to say and we had to end the discussion early as we ran out of class time. Obviously the students were passionate about this topic and wanted to speak out. I could tell, as can you I'm sure, from their responses they were asking for more from their public education than they are receiving.

I decided to take this one step further for two reasons: 1) to give them an opportunity to speak out and let their feelings and opinions be heard and 2) to give myself an inside look at what it is exactly that students want today and how can I better adapt my teaching and influence change in the system to meet those needs.

I decided to add an assignment at the end of all this.

PROPOSAL TO REVAMP EDUCATION (HIGHSCHOOL)

Refer to the following youtube videos:
a) Education Today & Tomorrow
b) A Vision of Students today
c) 3 Steps for 21st Century Learning
d) School of the future

Requirements:

1) What subjects/content would be taught? (I.e. math, science, religion, politics, horseback riding??)

2) How would they be taught?
I.e. Setting: in a school, outside, multiple locations, others?? Resources: labs, computers, digital equipment?? Instruction: projects, lectures, experiments, research, work experience??

3) How would students be assessed? (How do you find out what the students know) i.e. exams, reports…??

Provide as much detail as possible when you answer these questions. You can present this in any format you chose, essay, PowerPoint, video, play, collage…be creative)

You will be marked on the following:

a) are all the questions answered
b) is there enough detail in your answers
c) are your answers practical

Be sure to reference any resources that you use.


The assignments will be coming in at the end of the semester, which is in about a week. I am eagerly anticipating what the students will come up with. I will have a follow up post to report on what the students hand in.

Should be interesting.

No comments: